What is a Recreational Pilot Licence (RPL)?

A recreational pilot licence (RPL) is the flight crew licence introduced by CASA on 1 September 2014. It authorises pilots to fly light, single-engine aircraft as the pilot in command.

The RPL replaces the student pilot licence and general flying progress test (GFPT) that existed under the Civil Aviation Regulations 1988. It is also available to pilots who have an RA-Aus Pilot Certificate. The new legislation brought in with Part 61, recognises the R.A.A. Recreational Pilot Certificate (RPC) as the equivalent to a Recreational Pilot Licence (RPL). The hours in a light sport aircraft count directly towards a Recreational Pilot Licence (RPL)  Aircraft familarisation and 2 hours instrument training are required.

Before operating independently of a school, new RPL holders should make sure they are fully aware of their new responsibilities. Initially, pilots must complete a flight review with an instructor and make sure they are familiar with the new regulations and their responsibilities when exercising the privileges of their RPL.

How can I achieve my RPL? 

There are 2 ways to achieve your RPL.
Your may start your flying training immediately in one of our nine GA aircraft or convert an existing R.A.Aus Pilot Certificate.

To obtain your RPL you need to:

  • Be at least 16 years of age; and 
  • Have a CASA ARN ( Aviation Reference Number)
  • Hold an ASIC card.
  • Undertake a General English Language Assessment (only required for the first category rating); and
  • Complete at least 25 hours flying time, including a minimum of 20 hours dual and 5 hours as pilot-in-command; or
  • If converting your RA - Aus issued Pilot's Certificate, complete the relevant conversion training for your AFR, including
    • At least 2 hours of Basic Instrument Flight Training: (for those holding X-Country ) and
    • Approximately 5 hours of endorsement training in the heavier aircraft type.
    • Pass RPL(A) PEXO exam.
  • Finally, complete a CASA RPL Aeroplane Flight Review.
  • *If you wish to carry more than one passenger when exercising the privileges of your RPL you will require a minimum current CASA Class 2 Medical Certificate